Adobo is a Spanish word that means marinade, sauce or seasoning and is used as both a verb and a noun. That's because in some cuisines adobo refers to a blend of spices while in other cuisines it references a method of cooking that uses an acidic marinade. Adobo originated in Iberia, Spain and then became popular in Portugal before moving on to the Caribbean, Latin America and the Philippines.
A savory seasoning, adobo is a key seasoning in Spanish Caribbean and Latin American kitchens and is traditionally used to season and/or marinate chicken or fish. In this hand blended adobo, none of the spices dominate but instead create a delicate balance for maximum taste. While many adobo marinades call for the addition of citrus juices, for this seasoning blend we've already added some lime zest for more flavor when used as a rub.
We like this Adobo Lime Rub best on chicken, lighter seafood like tilapia and salmon. It also adds some unexpected flavor to steamed and roasted vegetables and we’ve also had some great success using it on red or white potatoes.
As a rub we like to liberally shake this seasoning onto the meat and then "pat" it in evenly onto both sides. For chicken we recommend 1 tablespoon of seasoning per lb of meat and for fish about ½ that amount (you can always add more if you feel the dish calls for it). We recommend that for chicken after seasoning place the chicken in the fridge for at least 2-4 hours (and we’ve gone up to 24 hours) and for fish do not let the seasoning set for more than an hour before cooking for maximum flavor.
You can apply this as a dry rub or apply with a little olive oil. Either way we like to add a squeeze or two (or three) of fresh lime juice to bring the lime zest to life and that really takes this seasoning over the top!
Ingredients: Hand blended from Organic cumin, garlic, fennel, lime zest, black pepper, salt, coriander, Mexican oregano, rosemary and thyme.
About the product:
- Single Source, Freshly ground spices from the Grindstone brand. The grindstone operate a famous culinary retail store in historic Saint Augustine, Florida and offers custom blend of spices to the store patrons and Chefs around the country thru their distribution network.
- Each jar in the spice collection is filled by hand in glass jars with an assortment of premium gourmet seasoning blends, spices and herbs. Each jar holds 1/2 cup of product.
- Many if not all, of our blends are sugar and salt-free, so restricted diets can easily be accommodated without sacrificing the flavor of the dish.
- You will find that we carry everything from the classics --- like Italian Seasoning, Blackened Seasoning and Cajun Seasoning to our continuously growing line of exotic hand blended seasonings like --- Smoked Tea Rub to Tikka Masala. If you are one who loves to do outdoor grilling, we have some enchanting dry spice rubs for your chicken, burgers, steaks, ribs and seafood.
- Perfect for Homes, Restaurants, Chefs and any enthusiast of the gastronomy would find these a pure exotic delight. All spices are Non GMO and Product of USA.